Sunday, March 29, 2009

Geography

Almost every day, I log on to FictionPress, just to check how many readers I have for each story, from each country, things like that. I'm always excited when my numbers go up, even a little bit, but I find it extra-thrilling to learn I have readers in a country where I haven't before.



Even better than that, though, is finding out I have a new reader in a country I didn't even know existed (I blame our crappy educational system for my complete lack of knowledge in the field of global geography).

I've learnt about four new countries this year: The United Arab Emirates, The Commonweath of the Northern Mariana Islands (which I'm not 100% certain is technically its own country), Slovenia and Moldova.

As ridiculous as it is that I hadn't heard of these places, I'm kind of glad I hadn't. It gives a little bit of wonder back to the world.


No comments: