Sunday, March 1, 2009

Unless they have an IQ, women should write Bodice Rippers

So, I came up with my new story - or at least a character from it. I decided I wanted it to be a mystery, so, as a true product of the 20th century, I typed how to write a mystery novel into a Google search. One of the first things that came up was this:







Well, an offshoot of it. This guy (the site uses a lot of "we"s, but I highly doubt there is more than one person running this thing) is an unprofessional tool, who probably (here's hoping) hasn't been published in anything, ever. The page I actually came to is a guide for aspiring mystery novelists, and it stopped me in my tracks. It starts like this:

Want to make a million fast? Write a mystery thriller and but in order be able to do that, first, study the work of the best writers. Take you a week or two. NOTE: Women don't need to read this article unless you have an IQ of 180 like Sue Grafton.

Honestly, I don't know why things like this bother me; you don't need an IQ of 180 to realize that the man writing this article is a moron who nobody in their right mind would take seriously. But really, come on.

The article goes on to say that "unless they have an IQ, women should write Bodice Rippers or Historical novels from a woman's P.O.V." Um, it could just be me (I am only a woman after all), but I was under the impression that all people have an IQ. Even Mr. Chauvinist "Writer" has an IQ, although I would be very surprised to learn that it was within even twenty points of mine.

Anywhom, that's my angry rant for today. I feel like I should say more, but really, what else is there? The guy is an idiot, but barely worth the words I've already wasted on him. Here's hoping he steps on a rusty nail and gets tetanus.

No comments: