Monday, May 11, 2009

And Another One

I've discovered yet another new country. I realize this kind of makes me sound like some kind of explorer, running around and poking my flag into things, but actually, I haven't left my own country in over a year (with the exception of a brief trip to the US to pick up postage stamps). So, when I say I discovered a country, what I really mean is that I found out about it.

The Republic of Mauritius was entirely foreign to me (see what I did there?) until today. Everyone has heard about Dodos and how they were hunted into extinction within 80 years of the Europeans discovering them, which kind of makes me wonder why I never knew that the island of Mauritius (one of the many islands in the Republic) was the only place they ever lived.

It kind of makes me want to become a geography teacher, so I can force students to learn things about the world they live in - instead of allowing them to dick around colouring in maps with pencil crayons for a credit.

Anywho, this has been another country brought to you by my lovely readers at FictionPress, who never seem to stop supplying me with things to learn and share.

No comments: