Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Midsummer Night's Dream


I've read the play a couple of times, never seen it live and until yesterday, never seen the movie. Now I've seen it twice. I actually had a huge crush on Rupert Everett when the movie came out, ten years ago. In 1999 I had no idea who Christian Bale or Dominic West were, although I was a fan of Calista Flockhart and Michelle Pfeiffer.

I can't believe I waited ten years to see this movie. Well, for the first five of that, I think I suggested it every time we went to a video store, but no one else wanted to watch it. Then, I guess it just got pulled off the shelves to make way for newer things. Too bad; it's really quite excellent.

I like Shakespeare's comedies quite a lot more than his tragedies*; they're just so much - well, cheerier. More than that, though, they have more of a logic to them, even if it is convoluted. His tragedies all seem to be about bad things happening to bad people. Not really that interesting.

Anyway, I love A Midsummer Night's Dream, both play and movie. Even though I'm about ten years past due with this post, the movie was well worth the wait.

*I don't mind Hamlet

No comments: