Friday, June 26, 2009

Celeron M

Sometimes, when I can't think of a title for my blog posts, I just pick something out of the room at random.

Okay, so first: Books.
I am very sorry (and a little bit horrified) to say that I've only read two books this year. That's right, two. The year is half-over and I've only read two books. And I read them in about three weeks.

Book #1 was Terry Pratchett's Nation, which his only non-Discworld book I've read (I'm not counting Good Omens, 'cause that was a collaborative effort with Neil Gaiman). It's absolutely amazing.

It's darker than most of his Discworld stuff, but I think that's because it's new, and Pratchett's work seems to get progressively darker - which is fine, because I've always loved that kind of unabashed cynicism. I think that's what drew me to him in the first place. I don't want to spoil it for you, so I'm not going to tell you what it's about, except that it's kind of about the end of the world, at least, the end of a world, which for the people living there is the same thing.

Book #2 was another Pratchett masterpiece, a much earlier Discworld book called Reaper Man. That copy has been in my family's house for years, and for years I didn't read it because I was terrified of the picture of Death on the front (not the same cover art as shown right - I couldn't find a picture of the book jacket ours used to have). When I was maybe 11, I tried to read The Colour of Magic and couldn't finish it, and then didn't read any Pratchett for ages. Reaper Man is pretty amazing, but I have to say that in parts, it seemed like Pratchett forgot his readers weren't in his head with him, so I found some parts confusing.

Mainly, I loved the story of Death essentially being fired, and going to live and work on a farm. It was all good, but that particular thread was just too amazing, and I found myself constantly wanting to run and give him a hug.

As with every other Terry Pratchett book I've read, I'd heartily recomend it to anyone who wants something funny, thoughful, thought-provoking and generally amazing to read.

Second: I still have no job. It's not that I haven't been applying, because I have. Maybe my applying hasn't been as rigorous as it could be - I've spent most of every day for the past few months writing my book (now finished!!!!!), working out and drinking tea. It may seem like wasting time, I guess, but c'mon - I wrote a bloody book and dropped at least two sizes. That has to count for something.

But still, I think the main problem is that there just aren't that many jobs available. I mean, if I had a car or a college and/or university education, there are plenty of jobs I could get... but no one seems to even be looking for people, and if they are, they want educated people. Why you need college-trained secretaries and forklift operators, I'll never know.

I think that's it. Edits on Aigaion Girl aren't going to start until July, 'cause I'm giving my brain some away-time from that story for the moment, as hard as that is. I feel like I should be writing but I went through all 26 of my pending stories the other day and I couldn't find anything that I felt like writing at the moment. Maybe I'll start something new.

Right now I'm off to go back through the job bank and see what's available. Monday, I'll have to plaster the city with resumes - which would be a lot easier to do if all of my summer clothes (and nice shoes) weren't sitting in some guys barn - another long story. Yes, I know I look like a hobo and I know I'm wearing flipflops/my youngest brother's handmedown running shoes, but seriously, take my resume, then call me at my mom's office, 'cause the home phone's been cut off and I can't get my cell phone hooked up until I get paid for work I did in January... Hire me.
Somehow, I don't see that working as well as I need it to.

Ah well. I'm grumbling again, and I really didn't mean this to be a grumbly post. But seriously, I should never have stayed in town for the summer. I should have just said screw it, despite the serious lack of job and money, and just gone wandering in May like I planned to. Ugh.

No comments: