Monday, June 29, 2009

Rain, Rain

It's pouring out. Today was supposed to be my run-around-the-city-and-hand-out-resumes day, but instead it turned into my sit-in-my-house-and-finish-my-book day, which was a lot more fun, even if not so productive.

I just finished another one of Terry Pratchett's books, Monstrous Regiment. It may just be my favourite one of his books to date... maybe.

It follows Polly Perks on her journey through the army, which, of course, starts with her cutting off her hair, disguising herself as a man and joining up. I don't want to say more than that, 'cause I don't want to give it away, but it has everything you'd expect from one of Pratchett's novels: humour, hilarity and an uncompromising view of humanity.

Also, it means I'm up to three books this year, all of them Pratchett's.

In other news, I started something new. It began as a stray thought, which I planned on turning into a short story for Devereaux Court, and turned into a scene which I plan to be the opening for my next novel. The other things I'd started will likely have to wait, because this really does feel like my next big project. Of course, I'm going to spend the next two months editing Aigaion Gir, so I probably won't have much time for writing, but you never know. I can write down bits and pieces, and maybe a novel will be born.

I'm kind of bummed now, because I have nothing to read and sort-of nothing to write. Also, there were next to no new jobs on the job bank site, and the only one I was even remotely qualified for was at a place that I've already worked, where I'd really rather not work again, and where they're not terribly likely to want to hire me, if I'm honest.

Ah well. Not much to do for the moment, I guess. Laundry and stuff, but not much that will help me advance in the grand scheme of things, anyway. I guess that's it. Go read Monstrous Regiment, if you haven't already.

No comments: